Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Ah winter! The season of seed catalogs.

While every green thing outside lies dormant waiting for the first warm rays of spring, there is much to be done in preparation for a summer in the garden.  Even though winter is not my favorite season (hint: there are 3 seasons I like more) it isn't without its benefits.  It gives gardeners a chance to relax and plan for next year.

Queue seed catalogs coming in the mail.  They always seem to come on the coldest most depressing days of winter as a bit of good cheer coming in the mail.  They rate much higher than bills or junk mail.  It's a dream of happier times when the sun is shining.  I have my favorites, don't worry, I'll share, but truly few are without merit.  And the very best thing about them, they are free!  Never mind paying for books and software to teach you how to garden.  The seed catalogs often contain all the useful information you need along with a little background knowledge.  Now, I don't mean to discredit books or any planning software as those have there uses.  But if you are on a budget you can't save more money than free.

Currently, a few of my favorite seed catalogs and links to the webpages to request your own are as follows.  Remember there are hundreds of different seed companies and they all have there place.  Find one you like and go for it!


Not only does their catalog contain pretty pictures and great growing advice for each of their vegetables, they also sell garden supplies.

My personal favorite are the oddities found in its pages.  For example this year I purchased a pixie grape plant.  I will anxiously await its arrival as it is reported to grow no more than 18 inches tall and produce grapes the first year.


This company provides high quality seeds and supplies to anyone from the backyard home grower to the professional.  Some of their seeds appear a little on the pricey side but I promise you, they are QUALITY.  The company is employee owned and offer organic and heirloom.

If you are looking to keep weeds down in your garden they also carry plastic mulch including a biodegradable mulch.  I'm planning on doing a blog post about how to use this mulch in your garden later on.

My addition to my garden for this year is going to be the tubtrugs that Johnny's carries.  They come in various sizes and you can buy a colander to wash your vegetables off in the garden using these tubs. My yearly purchase from Johnny's is a new variety of lettuce to try from their wide selection.


Even though this catalog doesn't stand out in a seed catalog line up, their seeds are typically only $1.99 and most of them are organically grown if that is important to you.  I ordered several of my seeds from them due to a free shipping promotion there are running for new email sign ups.  Be careful because you only have one chance to get this promotion when you open the page up.  


Another high quality seed source with great value.  They have a GMO free promise.  They also have a wide variety of garden supplies.


A very colorful catalog with great selection of seeds and plants.  I am a sucker for speciality plants and they have a wide range of speciality fruits and vegetables.
They also have great promotions going on all the time including free shipping currently.





No comments:

Post a Comment